Cardiovascular Disease (CVD) is responsible for significant morbidity and premature mortality in Australia. An individual’s risk of developing CVD depends on the combined effect of multiple risk factors. Risk assessment, therefore, remains fundamental to the primary prevention of CVD (Heart Foundation, n.d.).
Bp Premier offers a Cardiovascular Risk Assessment tool and the ability to access the Online Cardiovascular Disease Check from the patient’s clinical record.
Cardiovascular Risk Tool
Bp Premier’s Cardiovascular risk tool calculates a percentage probability of developing cardiovascular disease in the next five years based on measurements of several known risk factors.
To access and use the Cardiovascular Risk Assessment:
- From the patient record, select Clinical > Cardiovascular Risk.
The Cardiovascular risk screen will appear.
2. Some of the fields in this screen will be prepopulated based on existing observations recorded in the patient’s record. Edit the existing observations or complete the remaining fields.
3. Bp Premier will display the percentage probability the patient has of developing cardiovascular disease.
4. Click Reference to view the formula used to calculate the probability.
5. Click Save and these results will appear in the Observations tab under ’CV risk’ in the patient’s clinical record.
Online CVD Check
The Australian Chronic Disease Prevention Alliance’s CVD risk calculator has been available in Bp Premier since Saffron SP2. AusCVDRisk is a risk assessment, communication, and management tool for health professionals. To learn more about how this calculator works, refer to the Australian Guidelines for assessing and managing cardiovascular risk.
To access and use The Online CVD Check via Bp Premier:
1. From the patient record, select Clinical > Cardiovascular Risk. The Cardiovascular risk screen will appear.
2. Click Online CVD Check.
Selecting this button will open a browser window displaying the calculator.
3. Fill in the fields and click Calculate to display the percentage probability the patient has of developing cardiovascular disease in the next five years.
4. Once completed, the results and further information can be printed by selecting ‘Print these results’ or ‘Print info’ or manually copied into Today’s Notes.
Note: Only results from the Bp Premier Cardiovascular tool will appear under Observations > CV risk. Online CVD check results cannot be added to the CV risk section under Observations.
For more information on the Cardiovascular Risk Tool in Bp Premier, visit our knowledge base article here.
- Cardiovascular Risk Assessment: Tool https://kb.bpsoftware.net/bppremier/Orchid/Clinical/PatientRecord/CVDRisk.htm
- Bp Premier Knowledge Base: Bp Premier Orchid Knowledge Base (bpsoftware.net)
- Heart Foundation. (n.d.), Overview. CVD Check. https://www.cvdcheck.org.au/overview
Training & Deployment Specialist at Best Practice Software